Wednesday, August 22, 2007

We're not on Google Earth anymore, Toto!

When I was typing an e-mail for one of my e-pals, who just got Google Earth, I discovered they had a MAJOR update. Presenting Google Earth Sky!



I have a couple other planetarium programs for star viewing. Celestia is a full 3D space explorer and Stellarium a more general, full featured one. Both free. Compared to Sky, Sky is by far more beautiful, but still clunky since its so new. For example, I tried to view the moon's position across the sky and, as far as i can tell, you can't actually track it, just view it. My other complaint is when you switch from earth to sky, it loads up the other. So you can't view them both together, making it hard to find the sky's location in relation to earth. You can click on your placemarks to find, for example, the current sky above you or another location. I think then I'll keep my other planetarium programs for the major stuff, like the lunar eclipse that will occur when the Heroes DVD comes out.

Here is another video showing off some of the more pretty pictures.



LINKS

Google Earth Website
Celestia Website
Stellarium Website

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home