Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Inception Theory

IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN INCEPTION, DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER!

Notice! I am typing this up shortly after seeing Inception and have yet to read and spoilers or hear other people's theories.

LAST CHANCE TO TURN BACK!

… … …

Okay, from the last shot we know that he is still dreaming. I actually suspected this from an earlier scene, mentioned below, but also because his kids seem to not have grown any. Before I went into the theater, I had numerous theories about what the 'twist' is, knowing this is Christopher Nolan we are talking about here.

First, think back when Cobb was looking for a drug that will help them get into deeper levels of dreaming, and introduce the character that would be driving the white van. After that scene, he shows them a number of people who dream most of their day as they can't dream anymore and became, in my view, addicted. We see Cobb strap himself on and...

… we cut to the most important not-to-miss scene, me thinks. Cobb goes into a bathroom and tries his totem, only to be distracted by someone he thinks he sees in the window (his wife?), then Saito shows up. The totem, due to this distraction, falls to the floor. It is my theory that he is still dreaming.

Now it could be all we have seen hasn't happened. Or the only thing that this dream has done to him is to allow him to see his kids again without guilt. But another possibility is this was an entire Inception project for him. And if that is the case, that opens up a whole new can of dream worms. I kinda wondered why the new architect team member was so curious about Cobb's psychological state, down in the basement.

The only other idea that comes to mind is when Cobb tried to get Saito in Limbo, he didn't really woke up then. But I am sticking to the above.

EDIT: I will have to view this movie again, not just to confirm the above, but to see if there was an earlier point where Cobb could have went to sleep and stayed asleep.

EDIT 2: This is done after Cookie Roz comment. I have already seen it twice and now plan to wait for the DVD as it left me with quarter of my brain spewing out of my left ear and another quarter out of the right. The reason is because I was trying too hard. Anyway, STOP READING IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT AT LEAST ONCE!!!

... ... ...

Did you notice when Cobb had his ring and when he did not? For that reason, I doubt my theory now.

4 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Blogger Cookie Roz said...

Hi Patricio, I agree with you, I don't think he woke up either! I'm just confused as to who is dreaming (Dom or us, the audience). I also thought it was quite suspicious that the new architect was so interested in Dom's mental health. As I also have only seen it once, I did not notice that one of the most important scenes happens right after he is sedated! Thanks for that :) I really can't wait to see it again.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Cookie Roz said...

Ooooo I can't wait for it to come out dvd, I don't know when I'll get the chance to see Inception again ... my schedule is so busy, but thanks for the tip. I will try not to try so hard the next time I see it :)

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are some doubts I have regarding inception. Can you help me solving them.
http://rsvblogger.wordpress.com/2010/09/11/inception-doubts/

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous sean said...

Look guys did you not concentrate at all during the film?

The number one rule is dont choose at totum that anyone else knows, or knows the weight of - Coob has moms??!!! There you are, he is completely in her dream and shes just fucking with him from above.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home